I apologize if my writings are bad. It's not that I'm not a good writer, it's just that it's awkward to read your own writings so once I'm done writing, I don't check for mistakes, make improvements, etc.

Whatever you read here, stays here alright?

Thanks for coming!

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Racism

Let's talk about something sensitive. Let's talk about racism.

We live in Malaysia, where there are lots of people of different race living together. This is what the government has been flaunting to the tourists; we are living together in harmony. But let's take the icing off the cake, do we actually live in harmony?

Let's switch to reality. We don't. It is a fact. Take an example, NameWee. His videos are controversial, but despite what others say, I think some of his videos are not really that bad. I've seen his videos even before people bashed him for his Negarakuku. Even in Negarakuku, although the title is controversial, it's not what you think. About the azan thing, he wasn't saying that it sounded like a chicken's coo, what he was saying was it was a call to wake up early in the morning which is a good thing. But we Malays have this built-in system that automatically interprets everything negatively. Even my mom does that all the time and frankly, it kinda drives me crazy.

But I'm not saying that none of his videos are asking for problem. I admit that some of his videos are like asking for problem. I can even say that he's an idiot.

What I'm trying to say that the more we try to bash racism out of the window, the more racist we actually are. To me, it's not about not calling them names, not about not saying racist stuff like "Cina babi!" or "Cina balik Cina la!", it's about how we actually treat them. It doesn't matter if you've never called them bad things, as long as you treat other races badly, you're still racist. Likewise, even if you call them names, but you actually treat them as equals, you are not racist.

Take comedians as an example. Don't take most Malaysian comedians, they're freaking stupid. Take American comedians for an instance, sometimes they make jokes about racial stereotypes like Asian people think getting 95 marks in a test is still bad and Indians are meant to be doctors. But in reality, they don't actually think those stereotypes are true. They we just poking fun at those stereotypes. Hell, even Dave Chappelle got famous for his poking fun at the black community. So does that mean he's a white supremacist?

We need to look at the big picture. We need to take our heads out of our asses. We need to widen our perspectives and take in the good stuff, not narrow our minds. And once we've done that, maybe we'll find the truth. I mean the true truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment